Friday, April 9, 2010

Moeraki Boulders

My handsome boy perched atop the Moeraki Boulders

Gregory playing amongst the Moeraki Boulders prior to the tide going out. We stayed around for about 3 hours...

Erosion of the Moeraki Boulders (septarian concretions). Many of these "chunks" were found further up the beach.

Quartz Heart

Hatching Gregory

Climbing these was not an easy task.

Gregory and Dorrie

View from up top

Later in the afternoon as the tide has gone out

Out of this world!

Many tourists came and went but there were times that we had the boulders all to ourselves. Magical!


In my mind this is definitely one of the natural wonders of the world. These symmetrically round boulders look as if they are from out of this world. I heard someone mention that it almost seems like a giant was playing marbles and left his marbles scattered on the beach. We actually spent over three hours here just marveling at these formations. We climbed on them, felt the various textures both smooth and a bit rough with grooves dividing these septarian concretions. I went a bit picture happy and photographed them at a multitude of angles as the tide continued to recede during our visit.

I did take some time to myself this day and wandered down the beach on my own until I could almost go no further. I just savored the beauty of this special place and the energy it seems to radiate. It is difficult to explain but I found it very peaceful and calming and a great place to contemplate things and meditate. I can’t say I came to any grand conclusions but I did feel restored that afternoon and I didn’t want to leave. That is a beach I could walk each and every morning leaving with revived energy for whatever the day might bring. The Moeraki Boulders are a thing of wonder and incredible beauty. Maybe it is a bit of the rock hound in me that I inherited from my lapidary grandparents but you don’t have to be a lover of rocks and minerals to appreciate these spherical giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment