Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 107 ~ Rottweilers

Bison in Kentucky?

Horse by Gregory

This shop in Shelbyville, Kentucky is ready for Christmas. Didn't we just celebrate Halloween?

Gregory just decided to plop himself down right on the shoulder while his dad was on the phone across the street.

I can't remember whether I've posted a shadow picture yet...I just love cycling on a sunny day and watching our shadow pedaling along beside us.

The trees are looking pretty bare...

Date: November 3, 2009

From: Prospect, Kentucky (Near Louisville)

To: Lawrenceburg, Kentucky (20 more miles to Harrodsburg where we'll rejoin the TransAm)

Route: Back roads

Miles Today: 66 miles

TOTAL MILES: 3,019 miles

Top Speed on this trip: 54.1 mph

Weather: Cool, 50s, Clear and Sunny

License Plates Collected: 5 Montana, 8 Wyoming (2 motorcycle) and 1 Idaho (found in WY), 2 Colorado, 1 Kansas (Gifted from David of Baldwin City), 1 Missouri (To be sent to Grammy’s by our new buddy, Kansas City firefighter Shawn), 1 Illinois, 3 Kentucky (2 Gifted from of Beth and Garry Feltus and one gifted from cousin John)

Flats: 9

Broken Spokes: 3

Cracked Rim: 1

Today was a sort of John Denver "Country Roads…Take Me Home…To The Place…I Belong…" kind of day. About one chorus was all I could sing before Gregory started singing something else to get me to stop. I thought I was pretty good but what do I know.

About a third of the way through our 65-mile day, as I looked out across the hills of Kentucky, I said to Mike and Gregory, "This has been a pretty nice day… lots of pretty farms to look at…lots of sunshine…quiet roads… " then, YIKES! I looked right and two enormous rottweilers were suddenly beside the bike and lunging at us. "STOP!" I screamed. "BACK! GET BACK!" My heart was in my throat. I mean I was more than a bit freaked out. The gruff voice worked and the dogs stopped but kept on barking. As I glanced back I saw their owner coming around from behind his home and I heard him say, "I'm sorry!" I would rather he got an electric fence or chained up his dogs than be sorry. So much for my nice quiet country roads! The American Kennel Club describes these dogs as robust and powerful dogs. I'd say yes!

Saying goodbye to our cousins today was tough. There were hugs all around as the kids headed out the door to school. Kim decided to walk the kids to school and Gregory went along on a scooter. Alex decided he wanted to buy Gregory something at the bookstore and Gregory was thrilled to get a 4-color pen which he used tonight to write in his journal. When Gregory came back from his walk he came in the door and said, "Ahhhhhh, sweet warmth!" It was pretty cute. His cheeks and ears were bright red. It was pretty chilly. We spent some time visiting with John before he left for work at 8:00 A.M. and then visited some more with Kim before leaving at 9:45 A.M. We waved goodbye all the way down the street until we couldn't see Kim any longer…

We didn't get far before Gregory was complaining of being itchy all over including his bottom. Once away from the homes we stopped to dust his shorts with "Anti-Monkey Butt" powder (something we bought from Duluth Trading Co. before we left and has been working fabulously for Mike and I) and I rubbed some lotion on his back and around his waistline. My first thought was that he might find the laundry soap we used to be irritating. At any rate, the powder and lotion did the trick and we didn't have any more complaints today.

One thing I forgot to mention a couple of days ago was our 9th flat (rear tire). We discovered it when we brought Mike's cousin Julie down to the basement to show off the bike. Mike quickly repaired the tire and he also moved Gregory's pedals out one notch (or hole) on his crank shorteners. The last time we did this was in Dillon, Colorado. Gregory is getting so tall. He is also noticing how muscular his legs are getting. We were all checking out our muscles the other day. Those legs are S-O-L-I-D!

We pulled into Shelbyville, about 30 miles into our day, and decided to have some lunch. We saw a bike shop so Mike pulled into a parking space and I offered to be the human kickstand while Mike and Gregory went across the street to ask at the bike shop for a lunch recommendation. After a good 20 minutes or so of standing in the shade holding up the bike the steam was starting to come out of my ears. This is pretty amazing considering how COLD I was getting. I was furious and I was about ready to lay the bike down and storm into the bike shop and give Mike a piece of my mind. Lucky for him a nice couple from Tennessee started asking me about the bike and our trip. Mike really should thank them. When Gregory and Mike finally came back I said, "What have you guys been doing? I'm freezing to death here!" Again, the folks from Tennessee served as a buffer here. It took me a good long time to get warm again. Oh, by the way, the boys were getting an alternate route with fewer hills and less traffic so I guess I'll forgive them. I guess…

We arrived at our destination of Lawrenceburg around 5:10 P.M. We stopped in at Taco Bell to find out where the Best Western was and after standing at the counter being ignored for about 5 minutes and finally getting no help at all we opted to move on. We decided to have dinner before finding the motel but we've banned Taco Bell since Mike has had two food poisoning episodes there… Next door the marquee at the Huddle House was calling our name, "Two Burgers and Two Fries for $5.99 and Kids Eat Free Tuesdays!" Mike and I chowed down some double burgers and fries while Gregory ate one single and then polished off one more! I was feeling a bit punchy after an exhausting day and I was doing some sit-in-my-seat dance moves and some singing to a Prince tune that was rockin' the Huddle House. We were all cracking up and this continued with some WHAM! and some Duran, Duran. I'm sure I was embarrassing Mike and Gregory but we were all cracking up over it. There was only one other customer in the place so what the hey! The waitress came over and said I had a great laugh. I thanked her and told her I got it from my mom who sounds exactly like me. People find it difficult to tell us apart on the phone. Anyhow, the compliment made my night.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to get Mike's phone call today! Dorrie, I really loved your post today. I was LOLing through the whole thing :-) Have a great ride tomorrow. Mike said you've got another long day in store! ~ Blue