Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 105 ~ Sunday In The Park

Alyssa and Amanda give Mike Landes a good morning hug.

Alex and Gregory play some Lego Chess while Amanda looks on.

Gregory and the girls play with Poncho.

The kids enjoying the play set in the backyard. (Clockwise: Gregory, Amanda, Alex and Alyssa)

Scootering in Cherokee/Seneca Park

(l-r) Back Row: John, Kim and Mike Landes
Front Row: Amanda, Alex, Gregory and Alyssa
By: Mike Williams

Dorrie and Two Mikes Reunited


Date: November 1, 2009

From: Prospect, Kentucky (Near Louisville)

To: Prospect, Kentucky


Miles Today: 0 miles

TOTAL MILES: 2,953 miles

Top Speed on this trip: 54.1 mph

Weather: Comfortable with a rainy evening

License Plates Collected: 5 Montana, 8 Wyoming (2 motorcycle) and 1 Idaho (found in WY), 2 Colorado, 1 Kansas (Gifted from David of Baldwin City), 1 Missouri (To be sent to Grammy’s by our new buddy, Kansas City firefighter Shawn), 1 Illinois, 3 Kentucky (2 Gifted from of Beth and Garry Feltus and one gifted from cousin John)

Flats: 9 (Mike found the rear tire flat down in our cousin's basement.)

Broken Spokes: 3

Cracked Rim: 1

Today was a very low-key day and just what I needed. We actually spent some time trying to research an event or museum we might go to but being Sunday we ended up just grabbing some lunch at Cafe Lou Lou and taking the kids to Cherokee/Senaca Park to ride their scooters which was just perfect. I wasn't feel well and opted out by just napping in the car while the others did a two plus mile loop in the park. I guess the kids were picking up some pretty high speeds on their scooters. It was a beautiful day with fall leaves drifting down from the trees and they had a great time.

Unfortunately, my day started on a sad note. My Uncle who has been terminally ill with cancer finally lost his fight early Saturday morning. I had a long talk with my mom this morning and I think she is having a tough time of it but of course is glad that he is no longer suffering. It has been especially hard because we lost her mom shortly before we left on this trip. After getting off the phone with my mom I couldn't stop thinking about her and what she was going through. Only a short time after our phone call I went to check email and there was a message that my Great Uncle Frank (my mom's uncle, her mother's brother) had also passed early Sunday morning. He too had cancer and though they thought the radiation was successful apparently it was just too much for him. It has been a lot to take in all at once. It really makes me think about how short life is and how thankful I am that we've chosen this path for ourselves. One never knows when one could lose a loved one and should cherish every day as a gift and live life to the fullest. If you have a dream get busy and start living it. Don't wait. There is no time like the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment